Requisition ID: req2712
Job Title: Senior Health Coordinator
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: South Sudan-Juba, Central Equatoria
Job Description IRC began working in South Sudan in 1989. South Sudan declared independence in July 2011 following decades of brutal civil war. The security situation remains fragile and significant operational challenges are there. IRC-South Sudan operates a country office in Juba, field offices in Lakes, Unity, Northern Bahr el Ghazal and Central Equatoria states. Currently, IRC South Sudan implements programs in primary health care, community case management, environmental health, women's protection and empowerment, protection and access to justice and livelihoods. JOB OVERVIEW The Senior Health Coordinator is the focal point for Health and Nutrition programs in South Sudan. S/he ensures the implementation of quality primary healthcare, maternal and reproductive health and nutrition programs in communities in Northern Bahr el Ghazal, Unity States and Lakes States, with the possibility of expansion into other geographical locations. The IRC has made significant contributions towards improving primary and reproductive health care services in its areas of operation and continues to prioritize health care through additional funding streams. IRC SS also implements a major Integrated Nutrition and Community Case Management (iCCM) programs in Lakes and Unity States, in addition to emergency programs in Unity State. The Senior Health Coordinator will be responsible for maintaining regular contact with all partners, including the Health Cluster, Ministry of Health, UN agencies and other NGOs. The position is based in Juba with frequent trips to IRC's Health and Nutrition programs throughout South Sudan.
- In collaboration with the MCH Coordinator, the M&E Manager, the Nutrition Coordinator and the DDP, oversee the implementation of primary, reproductive health and iCCM, and Nutrition programs and ensure that stated goals and objectives are met, that projects are appropriately monitored and evaluated, and that reports are written and submitted in a timely manner.
- Ensure sound data collection and information management systems are in place for analysis and action based on identified needs.
- Provide technical support to the health & nutrition programs from program design, proposal development, reporting, monitoring and evaluation ensuring that IRC programs are of high quality and that programs are driven by data and learning, working in conjunction with the Grants Unit, DDP and the technical units at HQ.
- Provide constructive supervision to the MCH Coordinator, M&E Manager and Nutrition Coordinator and other program staff to develop work plans to guide implementation of approved grants. Support the Field teams in the implementation and monitoring of the work plans ensuring that activities reflect the commitments IRC made to the donor and the community.
- In collaboration with program managers, review Budget vs. Actual expenditure for health & nutrition programs on a monthly basis with staff.
- Ensure training and ongoing capacity building opportunities for South Sudanese health & nutrition staff on technical and managerial issues, such as primary and reproductive health care and project management.
- Ensure a smooth functioning of health & nutrition related supply systems through a combination of state and external supply systems.
- Oversee strategic projects (determined by the country program) to ensure proper implementation and outputs are met while finding a balance between the donor requirements and beneficiary needs.
- Develop and implement a country sector strategic plan for South Sudan, ensuring that program growth is in line with country strategic plans.
- In coordination with the DDP, Program staff, Grants Unit and Technical Unit design and draft proposals for new programs.
- Explore, jointly with the Nutrition Coordinator, options and opportunities for integration between health and Nutrition programs. REPRESENTATION AND ADVOCACY
- In coordination with the DDP actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders in South Sudan including donors, government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors.
- Develop strategic partnerships with local organizations, wherever possible.
- Regularly attend Health Cluster / Nutrition Cluster meetings and feed in IRC priorities at Juba-level meetings.
- Upon request by the Senior Management Team, organize and facilitate field visits for stakeholders interested in IRC primary and reproductive healthcare programming in South Sudan.
- Represent the IRC on the Health Forum Advisory Team.
Key Working Relationships
Position Reports to: Deputy Director Programs Position directly Supervises: Maternal Child Coordinator, Nutrition Coordinator and M&E Manager Key Internal Contacts: Country Program: Health and Nutrition M&E Managers, Senior Health Managers, Other sectors Technical Coordinators, Grants team, Finance Team, Supply Chain Team, HR team, Field Coordinators, Operation Coordinator. Region/Global: Regional Grants and M&E units, Nutrition Technical Advisor (TA), Primary Health Care TA, Reproductive Health TA Key External Contacts: County Health Department (CHD), Ministry of Health (MoH), Clusters and coordinating bodies, UN agencies, donors, and other partners.
- Health professional (MD or RN with a MPH is preferred) with strong public health background.
- Minimum 5 years' experience in coordinating, implementing and managing health programs in humanitarian and/or refugee settings. Previous experience in South Sudan or a similar context is an asset.
- Ability to analyze context, conduct health assessments and manage program implementation in an insecure, volatile country. Experience of running health projects in an emergency setting is a strong asset.
- Significant experience in designing high quality health, nutrition and reproductive health programs and writing proposals.
- Good finance literacy (ability to draft and managing budgets, forecast and manage expenses)
- Demonstrable experience as a strong facilitator capable of creating a participatory environment
- Experience designing and facilitating trainings and capacity-building exercises
- Flexible work attitude; effective planning and organizing skills
- Strong communication skills, with excellent written and spoken English
- Ability to work under pressure in a very fast paced environment and with heavy workloads
- Fluent in English
- Good computer skills: MS Word, Excel, and email/internet software.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way - Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Working Environment: Security level orange: The situation in the country remains tense and unpredictable; concerns include criminality, presence of armed troops, and looting. There is active conflict in many parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas and other states.
The position is based in Juba. Lodging is in a studio (private bedroom with bathroom and kitchenette) in a shared IRC guest house - with electricity, internet and cable TV. Food is the individual's responsibility. Field offices housing is more basic, i.e. in traditional huts or tents with separate shared latrines and showers. Movements are restricted and a curfew is in place.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
How to Apply
Please follow this link to apply: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=SGVyaW5lLk9jaG9sbGEuNjU3NjcuMzgzMEBpcmNjZC5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20